• Public Liability Insurance

    Protect your business. Protect your livelihood

    Public liability (PL) can protect against both compensation costs and legal fees if a client makes a claim against you relating to personal injury or damage to their property.

  • You might need PL if you:

    • Visit your clients property - customers could claim compensation if your work leads to accidental damage or injury.
    • Own business premises - if your customers visit you then there’s a risk that they could injure themselves on your premises.
    • Work in public places - if members of the public could interact with your business then you’ll need protection from potential injury claimants.

    Some clients and professional bodies will require you to have professional liability insurance in place.

    Which trades need PL?

    Public liability is designed to provide protection to businesses which interact with customers or members of the public in person. For example:

    • Builders
    • Plumbers
    • Gardeners
    • Electricians
    • Shops, Pubs & Restaurants
    • Carpenters

    This list is not complete as almost any business could require public liability.

    Examples of claims

    There are two common types of claims, accidental damage and injuries.

    Accidental damage

    • Spilling a drink over a client’s laptop
    • Damage caused to a garden fence


    • Tripping over loose wires
    • Slipping on a wet floor.
  • How we can support you

    Your business is your future so you need to know it has the right protection. We realise that means more than simply getting comprehensive cover. We believe you should have access to:

    • Experienced advisers who’ll assess your needs.
    • A range of available covers and packages to give you flexibility in your choice.
    • Quotes from a panel of leading insurers so that you’ll pay a competitive price.
    • Experts who can help you manage claims should the unexpected happen.

    This is why we’ve teamed up with Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited, a leading UK insurance broker, whose expertise means that you’ll get all of the above. Their quality service will leave you reassured and able to focus on running your business.

  • Get advice or a quote

    Whether you want cover today or advice on your insurance needs Arthur J. Gallagher’s advisers can help. Call 0345 377 0001 to speak with a specialist.

    Lines are open Monday- Friday, 9am - 5pm.

    Get a Quote

  • Do you need more information?

    Yes, I think I have other risks

    There are other covers available to you to cover you for risks that public liability doesn’t. For example if you give advice you may need professional indemnity. There are also package covers available which may suit certain businesses such as Shops, Pubs & Restaurants.

    Yes, I’m not sure I understand Public Liability

    No problem, to speak with a friendly adviser who’ll be able to answer your questions you can call 0345 377 0001. Lines are open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.

    No, I’m ready to get a quote

    That’s great! To get a quote you can call an insurance specialist on 0345 377 0001. Lines are open Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm.