Professional Indemnity Insurance

Protect your business - get the cover you need today.

Professional Indemnity (PI) covers any legal expenses incurred in defending claims and compensation costs awarded if you’re found to have given inadequate advice, designs or service which causes a client to lose money.

Do I need Professional Indemnity cover?

You might need PI if you are:

  • Providing consultancy or advice - Clients can claim compensation if they believe you’ve given misleading or negligent advice.
  • Providing an expert service - A client can claim if you make errors in design, plans or calculations.
  • Handling personal information - You could face claims if you unintentionally mishandle a client’s data.

Some clients and professional bodies will require you to have Professional Indemnity Insurance in place.

Which professions need Professional Indemnity?

Professional Indemnity is designed to provide cover to professions who give advice or provide a service, for example:

  • IT consultants
  • business consultants
  • coaching, training and education
  • surveyors
  • engineers.

This list is not complete since there are many professions which may need Professional Indemnity.

What claims are covered?

Professional Indemnity can protect against the cost of dealing with a claim from a disgruntled customer. It’s important to ensure you’re covered in the event of a claim. You could face compensation costs if a client claims:

  • Negligence – Losing or misplacing confidential documents.
  • Infringement of intellectual property rights – Using a copyrighted image or photo without obtaining the appropriate rights or licence.
  • Breach of confidence – If you’re accused of leaking confidential information.

Get advice or a quote

Whether you want cover today or advice on your insurance needs Arthur J. Gallagher’s advisers can help.

Lines are open Monday- Friday, 8am - 6pm.

Call 0345 377 0001for Public Liability insurance.

How we can support you

Your business is your future so you need to know it has the right protection. We realise that means more than simply getting comprehensive cover. We believe you should have access to:

  • Experienced advisers who’ll assess your needs.
  • A range of available covers and packages to suit a wide range of trades.
  • Quotes from a panel of leading insurers so that you’ll pay a competitive price.
  • Experts who can help you manage claims should the unexpected happen.

Insurance Solutions from Gallagher

We have chosen to work with Gallagher, one of the UK’s largest insurance brokers. As a broker, Gallagher have access to a panel of insurers plus they provide professional advice and expertise, helping you get the right insurance for your business.

Do you need more information?

Yes, I think I have other risks

There are other covers available to you to cover you for risks that professional indemnity doesn’t. For example if you work in public places you may need Public Liability. There are also package covers available which may suit salons or businesses with offices.

Yes, I’m not sure I understand Professional Indemnity

No problem, to speak with a friendly adviser who’ll be able to answer your questions you can call 0345 377 0001. Lines are open Monday - Friday, 8am-6pm.

No, I’m ready to get a quote

That’s great! To get a quote you can call an insurance specialist on 0345 377 0001. Lines are open Monday - Friday, 8am-6pm.

This insurance product is subject to individual terms and conditions and some exclusions apply. Please ask for a copy of the terms and conditions for full details.

Bank of Scotland Business Insurance Services are arranged and administered by Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited who sources products from a panel of insurers. Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited, registered office: Spectrum Building, 7th Floor, 55 Blythswood Street, Glasgow, G2 7AT. Registered in Scotland. Company Number: SC108909. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Firm Reference Number: 311786). The Bank of Scotland brand and logo are used under licence.