Turnarounds: Seizing new opportunities
Discover how to confront business challenges – and turnaround for success
Turning a business around from a crisis, whether it’s one caused by internal factors or external events such as a volatile economy, is an enormous challenge. But, as many businesses have found, it’s also an opportunity to pivot, learn and grow. Our free book, Turnarounds: Seizing new opportunities, brings together expertise and guidance on business turnarounds from a range of contributors. You’ll find practical tools and checklists to support your turnaround strategy, from stabilising your business in the initial days of a crisis to taking longer-term actions, seizing opportunities and getting back to growth.
Part 1: Stabilisation
- Change and the turnaround process
- How to manage your crisis communications to convey transparency and generate trust
- Stabilising your finances to create a solid turnaround foundation
- Understanding directors’ duties in a crisis
- How to navigate administration and insolvency.
Part 2: Growth
- Identifying opportunities in the new economy, from industry 4.0 to automation to ESG
- How to build in financial resilience to future-proof your business
- How making your business more sustainable can boost efficiency and reduce risk
- Transforming your business through digitalisation and new ways of working
- Partnering for growth and how a collaborative approach can open up new possibilities.
Expertise and insights from a range of contributors
Contributors to the book include Bank of Scotland, The Institute for Turnaround (IFT), turnaround and insolvency specialists, Pottinger and more.
“Disruption and opportunity are frequent travelling companions. For the well-prepared, well-resourced or just plain nimble organisation, external turmoil and internal disruption can set the stage for dramatic shifts in market position.”
Contributor, Nigel Lake, Executive Chair at Pottinger.
Financial stabilisation and risk reduction
Financial stability may be difficult to obtain in a crisis, but it’s key to a successful turnaround. This chapter looks at how it can be achieved, starting with evaluating your situation and what immediate actions you can take.
Building in financial resilience
Businesses that are resilient are ready to adapt quickly and are positioned to grow and thrive. This chapter looks in depth at how to improve your working capital cycle from regular monitoring to negotiating payment terms and the financial products that may help.
How to make sustainability work for your business
Sustainability is an essential part of building back stronger. This chapter looks at the opportunities that improving sustainability can bring from cost reductions to opening up new markets, and identifies areas to focus on such as premises, transport and supply chain in both the short and long-term.